July 31, 2012

Aphid Squash & Wash Campaign

Recently, a woman bent my ear about ordering her husband
to "quit killing the aphids on the Harrison Rose!"
She declared that aphids help germinate the rose blossoms.
I said to myself, "You have gotta be kidding, lady!"
Is this aphid-rose relationship true?
Do tell readers, I must know!
This is not a rose but an Impatience
that resembles a rose! Ah...but have
some patience, I will get to the aphid story here soon.
First, a little poem about a rose...
The rose is a rose,
And was always a rose.
But now the theory goes
That the apple's a rose,
And the pear is, and so's
The plum, I suppose.
The dear only knows
What will next prove a rose.
You, of course, are a rose
Robert Frost


Every morning, just after sunrise, I slip into
my flipflops, grab a cup of coffee, and
make my way in PJ's out to the greenhouse to greet the new
crop of aphids on the under side of the 
Jimmy Nardello sweet pepper leaves.
Crawling, creeping, flying, & sucking are these
tiny critters gradually decimating the soft, delicious leaves.
WHOA, WOW, & SCREAM
The neighbors are awakened by my morning
howls, nothing resembling the coyote howls we
hear frequently, but similar!
You won't believe me unless you see this sampling
of what aphids are capable of doing.  Check it out.
So, begins my squash & wash campaign because
you see, I cannot use non-organic means to
rid the sweet peppers of the leaf lice.
With my thumb I squash, with the hose water I wash
as many as possible, away. But, the real partner in this
battle is...

Yes, of course, lady bugs to the rescue!
Oh, I need a legion of lady bugs.


  Shhh, no creepy crawlies on these
beauties! Prairie Fire turning red,
Italian Plums coming on,
& Cherokee Purples bursting forth.
 Not a rose & not nasty as some would call them,
but you, of course, are a lovely  Nasturtium.



No comments:

Post a Comment