April 14, 2011

Local Milk, Local Handmade Yogurt

Starting my own Home Dairy  with the help of Ashley English's lovely book






I have been making cheese and yogurt for many years but never considered that I was doing a 'home dairy'! Since I have no animal to milk: sheep, cow, or goat I buy "Cream on the Top" whole milk from a Victor, Montana organic dairy, called Lifeline Farm.
http://lifelinefarm.com/ 
Milk being heated to 180 degrees

Cooled down to 110 degrees, outside on the back porch

When cooled add either powdered yogurt starter or 3 tablespoons of your favorite commercial yogurt, stir, and pour into jars.
Jars waiting inside the electric yogurt maker

In my early years of making yogurt I used a large half gallon jar that I placed under the kitchen sink to capture the warmth. Now I use the electric Euro Cuisine Yogurt Maker from Williams Sonoma: http://www.williamssonoma.com
I cannot believe how much easier the yogurt making process is with this handy appliance! 
Empty jars are filled with the milk/powder mixture. The lids are conveniently stored in the lid.
Plug the maker in and set the timer according to the type of milk being used. For whole milk I select 7 hours for the time because I like a pretty solid yogurt. If using 2% or skim milk the time must be increased. Place the lid storage lid on top and wait.
Fresh yogurt with peaches and blue berries slathered with Blue Agave Sweetener
What a great refreshing breakfast. Sometimes I add granola.
Yogurt maker with jars and lid storage above
When the yogurt is done 7 hours later screw on the lids and set the expiration date on the lid to be 10 days out from the day the yogurt was made. Most of the time one batch of yogurt is long gone before it reaches the expiration date. It is just too tasty to stick around!


2 comments:

  1. I never considered making yogurt or cheese at home. Do you think you could use a crock pot if you didn't have a custom yogurt maker?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, I think that making yogurt in a crock pot is worth a try. There are probably sources online for how-to. I like the amt. of control offered by the Cuisine maker, however. Also, the little jars are appealing because one is enough for one serving/person. Cheese making is much more involved and time consuming.

    ReplyDelete