May 25, 2010

Yellowstone Country, Morning

Off in the distance, a pair of Sand Hill Cranes squawk the morning into being. This view of the morning reminds me of how patterns captured within the landscape define the origin of textile designs: Navajo weavings, felted carpets from mountainous Kyrkistan, and Tusheti rugs.
I asked you about a photo detail in my last post. The photo came from this felted carpet hanging on our garden shed. "Good grief, how in the world could I hang such a beautiful treasure outside on the garden shed?" you may ask. Well, it's a long story but the short of it is, the carpet brought a swarm of tiny moths inside our house! My efforts to rid the carpet of moths, eggs, and larvae, alas, were unsuccessful. In fact, the tiny buggers took over and in the flash of an eye, they were caught eating whole treasure to pieces.
Some in my family recommended taking the carpet to the dump. No way, said I. That's how it ended up on the garden shed. I have decided the beautiful vegetable dyed felted hand stitched carpet from Kyrkistan will hang into shreds, a sort of metaphor of the cycle of life. I will tell you the background story about this carpet from far away mountains soon, but not now.
Another morning greeter, the female tree swallow. She and her mate have returned to raise another family in the Mountain Blue Bird box at the other end of the garden shed. They swoop and glitter their iridescence against the blue sky.
The Sand Hills are deciding where in the surrounding fields to spend the day. Every morning they converse and chatter.
The crackers sold well at the market! Here's a half pound left for our family to gobble!
This weekend begins the straw bale house construction of the McManus family home in Northern Cheyenne country in southeastern Montana. I will be cooking for volunteers for a week so will have to leave you for a while. Upon my return, however, there will be lots to tell you. In the meanwhile, go check out Red Feather's website to see what's up:http://www.redfeather.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment