December 15, 2009

Indian Country Housing Crisis






Do you know?
60% of American Indian families will spend this holiday season homeless or inadequately sheltered. I became a fan of Red Feather Development Group to be a part of the solution.

Here are a few photos from the Hopi reservation project in Arizona, September 2009.

Every summer I, and sometimes my husband, his sisters, my daughter & friends, volunteer to help build a straw bale home for an Indian family in need. Red Feather has been building homes for the past 15 years. My job, since I am too old to swing a hammer or lift hundred pound straw bales, is to cook for the legion of volunteers who come to each build. My helpers and I cook out of an 18-wheeler trailer equipped with stoves, freezers, and refrigerators. In September 2009 I figured we cooked over 1000 meals using no running water, sketchy power, and 100 degree temps in the cook trailer. Believe-it-or-not, I love it! It's lots of fun, sweaty work but we turn out a pretty tasty meal three times/day for a month.

2 comments:

  1. Cindy your meals are more than pretty tasty, they are delicious. Thank you and your family for all that they do for Red Feather.

    ReplyDelete